In today’s post I will show you how I did old French pocket knife restoration. I bought this pocket knife with several other pocket knives a while ago. The blade is in decent condition, has some deep scratches and rust. Bolsters are in good condition, one of them is slightly twisted.
Covers on the knife are in bad shape and has to be replaced. I will be definitely making new wooden covers in this post as well.
Check out this old French pocket knife restoration video below!
Hope you enjoyed in this restoration video! Thanks a lot for watching!
Leave a comment below and hit like button on YouTube. Also if you are new, you might consider subscribing and hitting the bell. Because you don’t want to miss any upcoming videos!
Subscribe here ➜ https://www.youtube.com/channel/FindFixDonate
Old French pocket knife disassembling
For this pocket knife I had struggle with taking it apart. I have never seen brass pins so much hammered down. The ”pins head” was twice as wide as actual pin for bolters and covers. But after a several attempts I finally managed to loosen all parts.
After that I cleaned surface rust with small steel brush and sanded away rest of rust. For that I used 120 grit. I had to sand twice to get rid of all rust and pittings. Further sanding with 240 > 400 > 800 grit helped me to get nice, shiny and smooth surface.
Making new wooden covers
Finally after long sanding I could start making new wooden covers. For this I choose a walnut wood. I cut two pieces with my recently restored handsaw in desired size. Then I shaped covers with small plane and file.
After making and shaping the covers I started assembling the knife. That is so exciting part, right! I love assembling, that means I did all hard work. Anyway, while assembling I noticed a fault on the first end spring. I don’t know is it a factory fault but can’t be closed properly because of extended ridge on the spring. See picture below and imagine closed, you will see that ridge will stop the blade closing properly. I decided to not modify the spring and leave it as is…
Finally I was ready to apply linseed oil and homemade beeswax on covers. I cleaned pocket knife nicely, blade and bolters are polished.
Thank you a big time for checking out this post!
Also if you like restorations and projects on my YouTube channel, please consider subscribing to my channel on link below 👇. It helps me a lot to keep going and making great content as this one!
Subscribe here ➜https://www.youtube.com/channel/FindFixDonate
SUBSCRIBE to our newsletter for FREE updates!
I will not sell, trade or spam your email! You can unsubscribe at any time!