I was avoiding this old knife to restore for a while now because it has a broken tip. Finally, I did the old KKS knife with a broken tip restoration video. The whole restoration process went smoothly. I even had a chance to use a recently restored hand drill press to make a brass disc for this old knife. As a result of this restoration I tried to keep the knife in a vintage look with that blacksmith charm…
I started by disassembling the knife. Usually there is a small washer which holds the blade in place, but with this one that was not the case. It was glued with a not very strong agent.
Check out this old KKS knife restoration video below!
Hope you enjoyed in this restoration video! Thanks a lot for watching!
Leave a comment below and hit like button on YouTube. Also if you are new, you might consider subscribing and hitting the bell. Because you don’t want to miss any upcoming videos!
Subscribe here ➜ https://www.youtube.com/channel/FindFixDonate
It took me a while to scrape that filling agent out and release the blade. After pulling out the blade I managed to separate bolster as well. Here is how it looks after disassembling.
Vinegar bath, cleaning, sanding…
Since the knife is disassembled I placed the blade and bolster in the vinegar bath for 12 hours. For a moment I thought the bolster was made out of copper, but I was wrong. It is brass.
The next step is to wipe the blade and brush it with a steel brush wheel mounted on a hand cranked grinder. I managed to get the surface clean enough to be able to proceed with the restoration. So the next step was to mark out the line for the blade’s tip. In that way I could grind some material and reshape the damage. So don’t look broken as before.
It was nice to see the hand cranked grinder in action. After a few minutes I got a nice ending blade.
After that I started using file and I removed some material from the blade. I did that on both sides. This was not very difficult since the blade is made out of laminated steel. This means that the outer layer is made out of soft steel and in the middle is very hard steel.
Finally to finish the blade I did sanding with wet sandpaper. I started from 120 grit and finished with 800 grit. In between I sanded the handle as well. I got a really smooth finish with 800 grit.
If you are looking a swivel table vise same or similar as I used in the video above, please check out this two links below:
Amazon ➜ Swivel table vise
Ebay ➜ Swivel table vise
As an Amazon and Ebay Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ready for assembling
This was a moment where I become excited. Final step before I can say I restored one more.
Assembling was really simple, just stacking pieces in order as I removed them previously. I used just a little glue to secure the brass disk piece that I made (check out the video above) and the blade itself.
Thank you a big time for checking out this post!
Also if you like restorations and projects on my YouTube channel, please consider subscribing to my channel on link below 👇 (if you haven’t yet). It helps me a lot to keep going and making great content as this one!
Subscribe here ➜https://www.youtube.com/channel/FindFixDonate
SUBSCRIBE to our newsletter for FREE updates!
I will not sell, trade or spam your email! You can unsubscribe at any time!