Old Adjustable Wrench Restoration from Gun Factory Kongsberg N°81

Old adjustable wrench, adjustable spanner, spanner key, French key… is a great tool to have. I found this old adjustable wrench in a box and decided to do restoration. It is produced by gun factory in small city Kongsberg, Norway. Norwegian steel is with excellent quality, especially on older tools as this one. It is built to last and this particular one is marked with number 81 and size 8 inches.

Old adjustable wrench before restoration
Old adjustable wrench before restoration.

To start restoration I made couple of pictures  and disassembled the adjustable wrench. That went smooth, so I applied rust removal gel. Continue next day on the adjustable wrench and with several soft steel brushes I removed all dirt, remaining rust and dried rust removal gel. Than, cleaned the surfaces with acetone and revealed super patina. Then I started thinking, I should keep some part visible with that gorgeous patina on wrench key. And I did it, but before that I draw three different combination of colours… With that out of the way, now I could wrap some parts to not be painted over. That took some time but on the end was good to do. Less to clean later on adjustable wrench. 

Check out this old adjustable wrench restoration video below!

Hope you enjoyed in this video! Thanks a lot for watching!
Leave a comment and hit a like button on YouTube.  Also, if you are new, you might consider subscribing and hitting the bell. Because you don’t want to miss any upcoming videos!

Subscribe here  ➜  https://www.youtube.com/channel/FindFixDonate

Website  ➜  https://findfixdonate.com/
Instagram  ➜  https://www.instagram.com/findfixdonate/

Spray painting time!

Next step was to paint adjustable wrench and first I sprayed a layer of primer with rust sealing, than sprayed three layers of red paint. Of course, between every layer I was waiting around  15 minutes. Next step was exciting, to remove all tape what I wrapped before and see the result. That looks good. Now came tricky part, to make middle part protected, but transparent. So, I used two component epoxy in several layers… I am not sure I will be using it again. It is ok, but not as expected. That’s dried and finally I was able to put all pieces back together. I am very pleased with the result and hope you did too!

Old adjustable wrench after restoration
Result after restoration.

Thank you a big time for checking out this post!
Also if you like restorations and projects on my YouTube channel, please consider subscribing to my channel on link below 👇. It helps me a lot to keep going and making great content as this one!

Subscribe here  ➜https://www.youtube.com/channel/FindFixDonate

SUBSCRIBE to our newsletter for FREE updates!
I will not sell, trade or spam your email! You can unsubscribe at any time!